Friday 4 March 2011

The Power of a Blog

Fingers crossed this will be the last wordy post from me for a while, do you ever find that sometimes you just have a lot to say...whereas other just pictures will suffice?

We all know how blogs have grown in power over recent years. It's well know (and probably experienced by us all) that companies now use blogging as a powerful tool for advertising; something I personally don't have a problem with...I'm all for supporting high street brands and companies with price points that I can afford rather than looking to the runways and high-end focused magazines to get an idea of the trends, plus a massive feeling of frustration that everything is so far out of my grasp.

But that's now what this post is about, not really. I want to talk about the Power of Blogging as a healing support network, intentional or not, because I've found through both personal experience and from reading other blogs, tweets and e-mails that people are constantly surprised by the kindness of others.

I was completely blown away by the support show when I was sick last year, from the pre-hospital support and encouragement to the sheer volume of comments, letters, e-mails, texts and even VISITS from people who I would once have considered strangers but now believe to be friends.

I think blogging is more powerful than we realise in helping us feel less alone, whatever we are going through...from exam stress, personal crises, bereavement, illness and all that's in between. And I would like to take this chance to thank you ALL for being an all round, utterly amazing group of friends. I firmly believe I wouldn't be where I am today without all the extra, un-expected support I have received through this blog...I think I drove everyone made last Summer when I constantly spoke about how I couldn't wait to get back to blogging and show people how far I'd come, and how I'd make them proud. I know that won't apply, or even work for everyone, but for me it did. And now, on the other side of that, my blog has proved invaluable in re-building confidence, and getting used to my new body and getting more adventurous in what I wear.

Of course there is a negative side to every story, and there is the issue of Anoymous hate comments and attacks on formspring (deleting mine was the best thing I ever did), but on the whole I've found blogging has opened up a whole new community, and at the bottom of it all we are ALL human, we ALL struggle and we ALL need support and I think we can all, to an extent, relate to each other and offer invaluable advice and support when it's needed most.


Away from the words now, here is what I wore yesterday!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This was me trying to get Flash's attention and make him do something cute. Epic fail!

How has blogging helped you?

Do you agree/disagree with this post?

Whatever your opinion, don't be afraid to share it.

xxx

P.S. I lasted all day in those trousers, felt infinitely better for doing so and intend to embrace and wear them more. I truly was humbled by the comments left and the e-mails/tweets received. Thank you again.

No comments:

Post a Comment