Monday 7 March 2011

Snickerdoodles!

So, as I mentioned yesterday, I had baking planned. Snickerdoodles are something I have seen time after time on blogs but had yet to make, I've had a recipe in my folder for quite some time now and decided enough was enough and I.Was.Going.To.Make.Them.

I'd put it off because I thought they'd be complicated. Um, how wrong was I? These were some of the easiest cookies I have ever made. EVER (and I've made a lot of cookies!)

The recipe I used was from Nigella Lawson's “How To Be Domestic Goddess”

Ingredients

250g plain flour
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg (I used mixed spice the first time which was also nice)
¾ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
125g butter, at room temperature
100g plus 2 tablespoons caster sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon cinnamon

2 baking sheets, lined or greased


Method

  • Preheat oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
  • Combine the flour, nutmeg, baking powder and salt, and set aside for a moment.
  • In a large bowl, cream the butter with the 100g of sugar until light in texture and pale in colour, then beat in the egg and vanilla.
  • Now stir in the dry ingredients until you have a smooth, coherent mixture.
  • Spoon out the remaining sugar and the cinnamon onto a plate, mix well.
  • Then, with your fingers, squidge out pieces of dough and roll between the palms of your hands into walnut-sized balls.
  • Roll each ball in the cinnamon-sugar mixture and arrange on your prepared baking sheets.
  • Bake for about 15 minutes, by which time they should be turning golden-brown.
  • Take out of the oven and leave to rest on the baking sheets for 1 minute before transferring to a wire rack to cool.

Makes about 32. They keep well for about 4/5 days in a tin.

Variation: Replace 25g of the flour with cocoa to make chocodoodles.


When I first put these on the tray to bake I was cautious because I've had a great big cookie blob far too many times in the past,
but actually these barely spread at all, so don't be afraid to cram them in!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


And how many are left?!

Well, between myself, Mum, Dad and work...3 remain (but not for long!)

xxx

P.S. HAPPY PANCAKE DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment