Friday 18 March 2011

'I cried over all the nasty comments': How did an innocent wannabe like Rebecca Black become America's most reviled teenager?

By Daily Mail Reporter


-13-year-old says 'It feels like I'm being cyberbullied'
-She did not write the much-mocked lyrics

YouTube sensation: Rebecca Black was launched into the spotlight this week after her heavily auto-tuned song Friday was viewed more than 15 million times online


Rebecca Black became a YouTube hit for all the wrong reasons this week after her heavily auto-tuned song Friday was viewed more than 16million times online.

But the American teenager, who has been dubbed the worst singer in the world insists, she is talented - and says the fact that people remember her song means something.

Online critics have savaged the record, which is about a teenager getting ready for the weekend, but it is soaring on iTunes anyway.

The 13-year-old's mother paid $2,000 to the LA based Ark Music Factory - production company for aspiring teen singers - to get the song and video made.

The video was shot in her father's home, and friends and family were the extras.

Presented with two songs to potentially record, she chose 'Friday' - but she did not write the mocked lyrics.

Some cyberbullies have even told the teen she deserves to die.

Rebecca gave an interview to Good Morning America and said: '[The worst thing I've read was] I hope you cut yourself and I hope you get an eating disorder so you'll look pretty, and I hope you go cut and die.

'When I first saw all these nasty comments I did cry.

'I felt like this was my fault and I shouldn't have done this and this is all because of me. Now I don't feel that way.'

One Internet user wrote: 'Even deaf people are complaining.'
She also defended the song.

'I think that's an accomplishment. Even a person that doesn't like it, it's going to be stuck in their head,' she said

'That's the point of it, it's a catchy song.'

Her mother, however, was not so ready to forgive.

Dr Georgina Kelly told GMA: 'In all honesty, I probably could have killed a few people.

'But that probably would get me nowhere. Yeah, it makes me angry and upset.'
Kelly and husband Dr. John Black, are both veterinarians.

Make me a star! The 13-year-old's mother paid $2,000 to get the song and video made


The song has already spawned several covers.

Rebecca, who started vocal lessons when she was 10-years-old, sang the US national anthem on GMA in a bid to prove she could actually sing.

One of the song's producers said: 'She was actually in key.'

She added: 'I think I have talent on some level. I don't think I am the worst singer but I don't think I'm the best [either].'

'Those hurtful comments really shocked me,' Black, 13, she told the Daily Beast. 'At times, it feels like I'm being cyberbullied.'

Facing the critics: Rebecca went on Good Morning America and admitted that she isn't the best singer
And she did not write the words.


When presented with two songs, she chose Friday as 'The other song was about adult love–I haven’t experienced that yet.'

Remarkably for a girl so young and so attacked, she also defended herself and plans to continue pursuing her musical dreams.

'I decided not to give the haters the satisfaction that they got me so bad I gave up,' Black said, explaining why she refused to take the video off of YouTube.

Protective: Rebecca's mother (left) said she is 'angry and upset' over the criticism her daughter has received

Never give up: The aspiring singer, who lives in Orange County, performed the National Anthem on GMA in an effort to prove she can sing


Thanks to iTunes, she's profiting from the experience.

The money will go to her savings, her school theater program and Japanese relief efforts. 'I just want to be able to keep doing what I love, which is singing.'

Rebecca, from Orange County, in California, also told GMA how her dream is to duet with Justin Bieber.

She said: 'I have Bieber fever. I am in love with Justin Bieber.
'Just thinking about it gives me butterflies.'

And she sent a message to the teen pop sensation asking if he wanted to do a duet.






Source : dailymail

No comments:

Post a Comment