Wednesday 24 March 2010

Recipe: cheese scones

So, as mentioned yesterday I made Cheese Scones today. I used my good old faithful Be-Ro cook book which is yet to fail me. With Dad home I had an eager taste tester and he's put in a request for these for his lunchbox when he is back at work, after declaring them delicious. Hopefully he will save at least one for my Mum when she comes home for her lunch break!

Ingredients:

175 g (6 oz) Be-Ro Self Raising Flour (any brand self raising is fine!)
pinch salt and pepper (I added 1/2 tsp of each as the recipe in my book stated)
1 x 2.5 ml spoon (½ tsp) mustard powder (I didn't have mustard powder so added an equal amount of mustard from a jar)
25 g (1 oz) margarine
75 g (3 oz) cheese, grated
1 medium egg
2 x 15 ml spoon (2 tbsp) milk

With the cheese, I added all the cheese to the recipe and then grated some extra for the top of the scones.

Method:

1 Heat oven to 220ºC, 425ºF, Gas Mark 7. Grease a baking tray.
2 Mix flour and seasonings, rub in margarine. Stir in cheese, reserving a little for the top.
3 Mix to a soft dough with the egg and milk, reserving a little for glazing.
4 Roll out to a round 1.5 cm (½ inch) in thickness and cut into 8 triangles.
5 Place on the baking tray and brush with egg and milk and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for about 10-15 minutes until golden brown.

[recipe from the Be-Ro website]

And of course, I can't post a recipe and not share photos.
As you can see, I opted for rounds rather than triangles as I think they look neater. The recipe still made 8 scones.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Pre-Baking shot

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

These really are simple to do, they took me just over half an hour from start to finish.
Make sure to report back if you make them!

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment